Friday, February 12, 2010

My Maiden Attempt At The Tube aka T-V!!

As the title so cornily suggests, the following post is all about my first attempt at grabbing some footage on the much renowned, popular infotainment of a chat-show viz."TALKING POINT" which conducts heated debates and discussions on contemporary issues on the youth-icon channel of South India-ROSEBOWL.


Ok now let's rewind a bit and start afresh from the very beginning of that fateful day....


Feb 5, '10(Friday)

I'd just hurriedly finished my breakfast,made a dig for my bag and ran outta the house to catch an auto to college expecting my day to be uneventful(read:tedious) as ever.After reaching the insti and the usual round of preliminaries with friends, the 66 odd students settled for the (perenially boring)classes.

T'was my not-so-favorite hour taken by Mr.X when some senior pops into class and informs the arrival of the Rosebowl people in search of audience for their talk-show "Talking Point".Being the opportunist that I'm(euphemism for I-hate-the-hour-so-anything-to-get-out-of-it),I sprang up from my seat and showed profound interest and feigned intellect(anything to get out of class!).Impressed at my absolute inquisitiveness for current affairs(ha!),the ever-mellow Mr.X permitted me leave and free attendance!!Ergo accompanied with some cronies(who were hesitant initially,but being partners-in-crime,they followed suit) and a few batchmates,we set out for the Rosebowl studio situated at Bakery Junction on the royal Scorpio(offered by the RB people).

On reaching the premises of the studio,we were ushered in by the Rosebowl fraternity.Our group-supervisor showed us the way to the main studio and lo!we were inside THE studio which I hadn't even in my wildest dreams thought of setting foot on!!The celebs/experts for the talk had already arrived and were seated on the theatre like chairs.

At about half-past 12, the bigwigs were made to sit on the royal,pompous, pure-white couches on the podium and we, had to sit on the black step-like hardwood seating straight opposite to them with "Talking Point" written on a raised platform in the middle.In came the supervisor-guy again to get us acquainted with the topic for that episode which was: the more-popular-than-SRK, familiar-to-every-household, Kerala's-own-progeny subject: "HARTAL".We exchanged furtive glances and made mental notes on what to say if the mike by any means(of which chances were slim)should come to our hands.

Then came THE moment when the divine diva aka the host-of-the-show aka Ms.Indian Shakira (tho' she had nothing remotely to do with belly dancing or even more remotely to singing,Shakira's image was what popped into my head on seeing her-an overdose of Hips dont lie I presume),glided-in in the most elegant manner humanly possible.She had a ravishing smile, enthralling eyes..oh crap!let me cut it short!She was ultimate beauty personified!!I wasn't surprised to see(outta the corner of my eye) the testosterone-freaks sitting in the audience ogling at her(since it's been proven scientifically that men lose all sense of propriety around stunners).


Now the experts for the talk were:

1.Mr.Cherian Philip(Chairman,KTDC)

2.Mr.B.S.Shekhar(Politician,BJP)

3.Mr. Respectful guy(sorry I don't remember his name)

4.Mr.Sanjeev(Editor,Manorama) aka Mr.Cosmopolitan

As soon as Ms.Dhanya Varma(the host I mentioned earlier),stepped onto the podium,the plethora of lights surrounding us,all over the roof and around us sprang to life and blinded us(atleast me) and the innumerous(not innumerous exactly;I was too lazy too count)cameras started rolling and presto! the shoot had started!!Dhanya started the show neatly with the usual introduction,in a voice that exuded confidence,style and exuberance.The first round was the one where only the experts were to do the talking and the audience was to listen passively(read:audience had to be noncommittal ).And so we sat there nonchalantly while the altercation followed.

Next came the 'Interaction' or rather "Q & A" round where we could pop questions at the luminaries;which was when absolute brouhaha broke out with questions and answers whizzing across the room .Now here, the spotlight turns on me(thank you!).By some quirk of fate,I (without exactly intending to do so)wielded the mike(from a friend's hand) and spoke into it.I went,"Blah blah blah hartal yada yada" with the host rigorously nodding her head at me (in agreement to whatever crap I blabbered) and one of the experts answered my query. I was like *phew* done!Next the mike went to a buddy's hand and she asked something quite genuine(unlike me;coz I don't even remember what I spoke *sheesh*).And with that,Dhanya declared the end of the show and they wound up,thanking the experts for having made their presence and actively participating(no one thanked us tho'-ha!).

Now on that note, it's time to wind up this post as well with me hoping against hope that they don't edit the part where I spoke and it's aired making the title of this post come alive ie my first attempt at the TV!! :)


PS:I know it's a long post;so thanks if you survived till the end :D


5 comments:

  1. i thot u r gonna cheetha vilikafy me 4 nt cumin wid u dat day..:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written, paro! And so sad we don't get Rosebowl here in hyd, I will surely miss ur part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nitu:that's fine.really!
    @Karishma chechi:thanku so much!I hope they dont edit my part! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @all who come across this:the episode was aired on the 14th of March'10 and my part was not edited!(yippee):D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete